Monday, July 2, 2007

Qatar.. (a three day story)

The first base that we were in Al Udid (AL YOU-Deed) had super filters on all of the computers so I had to take a few days off, but I kept notes and am still alive to write about it.. (haha.. there is no danger....yet)
Here we go..
Day 1 (Saturday June 30)
Well, Allen was still sick, when we got to the APOD (air strip) we took him to the doctor on base.. he was hooked up to another IV and was diagnosed with a virus in his intestine.. (Wash your hands people) So we had to take a later flight which was ok.. we were put on a C-17.. for you information types that is not the super huge one.. but you can fit a Black Hawk helocopter on it.. (It is the second biggest cargo plane in the fleet.. The pilot (a girl) told us that they throw a football around or a frisbee on long flights.. It is huge!! While waiting for this plane to arrive all of our gear sat on the tarmac waiting.. it got so hot that some of the cases warped, some of them melted a little..While waiting I learned some cool facts..
a)Qatar, pronounced "Cud-er", is populated by 20% Qatar citizens..80% are on as private contractors, or the workforce from other countries.
b) It has only a 7% crime rate compared to the mil bases 17%. This is due to public punishment..
c) When we get to Iraq... We have to perform a Combat Landing..(or controled crash as the army calls it.) One told me "have your barf bag ready." oye...

Ok so we got to Qatar finally.. went though customs. Found out they are more picky because they want to show people of usa that they are in charge. they do not allow any outside magizines to come in..
Well we got to the base and pretty much got ready for bed.. we took a look at the venue..nicknamed the "bra" for obvious reasons when I finally saw it..
On this base Al Udid it is a coalition base housing 17 different nations next to us Americans.. EVEN KIWI's
Good Night..

Day 2 (Sunday July 1st)
So we are sleeping in a tent city.. yup in an air conditioned tent..with rats..
Well if I haven't told you what Qatars Climate is like.. Grab your hairdryer and go back into your bathroom.. turn the hot water in the shower on hot.. shut the door.. let it get steamy in the room.. do the hair dryer thing again..
Basicly.. Stuff onions and celery up my butt and put an apple in my mouth cause I am in the lords confection oven.. and I am one baked ham..
However if you wake up at 5:45.. It is perfect.. 86 degrees.. untill 7.. when it is too hot..
On this base water is shipped in..So we get to take combat showers.. 30 seconds to get wet..turn off water..lather...2 min thirty seconds to rinse. As I said earlier the internet is way filtered..
I went to church on the base..It was a great meeting.. the bishop talked about how he was able to go home for 2 weeks and how he was so thankful that his family supported him, and that he was so gratefull that his wife and kids were willing to sacrifice for him.. It was touching because never once did he talk about his sacrifice,or his service..
After church it was time to feel out the "bra" and set up the sound. Oh boy was my work cut out for me.. This stage had all the challenges of an out door stage with the acoustics of an indoor stadium.. I worked a little too hard, with a lot to little water in 108 degrees, and got a little sick becuase of it.. but after a few waters and a military hydration pack..(gross) I am good enough.. (a little headache.) Oh boy.. I made it sound good.. but man my ears are fried, and I am a little irritated.. Good Night.

Day Three (As Salya)
As Salya, pronounced (ah-sa-lee-ah)is the destination for todays journey.. We wake up at 7 to find out that we have to wait because Qatar is being even stricter today with the customs thing.. Finally at two the bus arrives and brings us to base with a little stop on the side... Remember how we had to go through customs on day one?? well.. had to do it again on day 3.. got here.. set up.. played a show.. This base is known as a r & r base.. today we had a group from Washington who are stationed in Bahgdad and on a 4 day R&R.. This was a good gig, met some nice people..
I am really tired though.. and need to go to bed..
and if you have made it this far in this post.. so should you..
Tomorrow..... Djabuti..
Peas out..

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dallan,
It's weird-I haven't talked to Bob in ages so I didn't even know you were going to Iraq-but you've been on my mind a lot the past few days. I'm glad to hear things are going well despite the heat. (Guess I should stop complaining about the 104 in SLC) Take care of yourself!
Miss you,
Suzanne

Chris said...

I just saw Transformers (I'll just say holy crap cgi nerdfest awesomeness and leave it at that) and they kept calling Qatar "Ka-tar" instead of "Cud-er"... so I thought of your little pronunciation lesson. I think I'll write them a strongly worded letter. Stay cool man...

JR said...

jiiiiboooooooootyyyyyyyyy.

keep drinking your water!

i am still envious...