Friday, June 29, 2007

Beihlring (Kuwait)

Today was hot.. 129 degrees to be precise.. But either I am getting use to it, or after about 105 it all seems the same.. I am not sure, but it just didn't seem all that hot to me.. but the Dang sand blowing around is driving me nuts.. It is that fine sand that.... ugh.. just blows in your face, gets in your hair, screws with your contacts..
After another wonderful breakfast at the hotel.. They have this smoked salmon.. oh.. it is a very enjoyable that smoked salmon.... mmmmm... salmon... We left for the base, today was Camp Beihlring.. It is named after a soldier that got killed in 2003 in a hospital in Iraq.. To get from our hotel to this base we had to take a road familiar from the first gulf war.. The Death Mile it is called.. Ray, one of our security MP's, was a Marine during this time and had some amazing stories. All that is left of the first gulf war are the burnt carcasas of cars, hum-vees, etc.. At this base, Camp Beihlring, they are the final training facility for 95% of the troops before going into Iraq. Crazy eh?

When we got there we met the on base care person..(the mom of the camp.) Her name is Big Mama.. Now I don't really need to say much more.. because the stereo-typical person you probally get in your head when I say her name is "Big Mama" is probably correct.. Such a nice lady.. who just tells it like it is..child..

Well.. Set up went really smooth no big issues or fires to put out.. (knock on wood.)

OOOOHHHH I got a picture with a camel!! If I could upload pictures from my camera I would.. I have taken quite a few.. (ADD moment.)

Tonite the show went well, except the lead singer had a battle with heat stroke/Dehydration, and lost.. after the show got over he had to get an IV.. It is so hot here..Crazy eh??

Welp time to go to bed.. Tomorrow we travel via C-130 to our next location.. Military Transport... woo hoo.. when do I get to shoot a gun..!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't play with the guns!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you are having quite an adventure--awesome. Your blogs help us share in your experience and also lessen our fears for your safety as you travel through a part of the world that is so engaged in turmoil. I love you; please take good care of my favorite son!

Anonymous said...

I miss our phone talks . . .