Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Iraq (Day one)

7-10-07 Flight to Iraq
Ok, so if you are at all worried about me being here.. don't read beyond this..
GULP..
Our flight left out of U.A.E. at noon directly for Al Asad in Iraq.. This was a Marine KC-130 J.. (Kerosene/Cargo 130 J type..see I am learning)
I GOT TO FLY IT!! The pilot invited us up one by one and explained the HUD, and then let us take control of the plane for 10 minutes or so.. It is really touchy and responds well.. Then we had to put on our vests as we flew over Iraq.. We did a Combat Landing into Al Asad.. Quite frankly I was ready for worse.. And I think I have had worse landings flying Southwest, but hey it was like a rollercoaster at times.. When we got into Al Asad we got to meet the crews of the Harrier, and the A-10 (war hog) and take a tour of the plane.. the A-10 is a machine gun with wheels.. 30 millimeter rounds.. huge bullets.. We then got fitted for Kevlar and Helmets and got onto a Heavily Armored, Heavily Armed (two 50 cal machine guns) Helicopter and were flown into Ramadi.. Check your maps folks.. I am in a suburb of Baghdad..
Crazy eh.. well I am into day two of Iraq and all is well..
Hope you are all doing well.
catch ya soon..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They let you drive???

Chris said...

I had a flashback of driving through the woods of eastern Massachusetts in a Pontiac G6 when I read this...