Thursday, July 5, 2007

Camp Lemonier (Djabouti Day 3)

Ok.. today was amazing, humbling, and exhausting..
I am so blessed to be raised in America by a hecka cool ma and pa..There are so many little things I have the oppertunity to take advantage of in life... My blessings are many..We woke up this morning and headed into down town Djabouti.. ok.. there is poor, and there is poverty, and then this.. Grown men wearing flip flops that could fit my sister, women and children walking around this dirty town barefoot, and worst of all children begging the minute you step off of the bus for something to eat, or a drink of your water...lots of them... People shouldn't have to live like that.. And the worst thing of all with the children is you can't give the water, or the food to them because they will get completely beaten up for it by someone older.. All of us wished we could have planned ahead and grabbed a couple cases of water..
It is like back in Washington when you throw bread to one seagull and all of a sudden you have 50 coming at you.. It is just heart breaking, but at the same time it forces the realization of all the oppertunities that I have been given right down to the fact that I have never had no option but to starve.. Man.. It was a lot to take in..
Well we went shopping downtown.. these guys are hustlers.. big time.. They quote a price that is insane and you barter with them back and forth until you get the price you want to pay for the item.. its so easy. We also went to a 7 star hotel.. YEAH IN A COUNTRY THIS POOR A 7 STAR HOTEL EXISTS!!
Well we came back to Camp Lemonier and played the show, nothing too eventful else happened..ooohh.. Remember the sound guy I talked to when I first came into town, who well.. Expected less.. Yeah.. he asked me about what I was doing with my drum mic's to get them sounding so good.. (stretch, yahn, ruffle chest..) He told me that before we got there my reputation through the company had already gotten to him..
(Anal SoundGuy who is really good...) woohoo!!
AND IT RAINED!! ok so for only like 5 minutes which means that the mosquitoes are going to be out full force tonite.. but it rained in Djabuti..Mosquitoes stay away..
So tomorrow is a travel day and I am not sure about the acomidations at the next base.. but U.A.E. is where we are headed..On a C-130... Life is great.. I can't complain..
Love you all.
~D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you're having quite the adventure big brother! I'm glad that you're safe! I wish I could say I was out doing something cool like you are, but I definitely have some stories for you! I miss and love you! You keep safe! Love, Syd

P.S. Opportunity...that's how it's spelled. =)

Chris said...

"Dallan, the sound guy for the tour, rocks. Dialed in the very first gig, got all the new gear working, great."

That's from the band's blog... now you can feel all awkward around them knowing they love you and think you're really neat