Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Last Day of Djabuti, All of U.A.E., Travel to Iraq..(Long one)

Ok so.. The U.A.E. was filtered internet so I couldn't get on, but I kept notes, and a lot has happened so this one could be a novella..
So.. here we go..
7-6-07 Last day of Djabuti, travel to U.A.E.
Welp.. I woke up this morning feeling good went to the bathroom and when I got back the tent was still pitch black so I couldn't get dressed. So I decided "when in Rome" I laid down with the idea of going to sleep.. I felt something on my leg.. as a guy we have leg hair and sometimes they get twisted and untwist.. this is what this felt like so I gave it a brush.. 5 seconds later.. my upper leg.. UPPER UPPER leg was on fire.. stinging like crazy.. I jumped out of bed and ran to the shower and began to check myself.. sure enough 3 bite marks.. all of them on the leg, one of them close enough to important man stuff that man stuff was in the radius of sting.. Worried about my boys I went up to the infermary and talked to a nurse.. She gave me benedryl and said.."bug bites sting worse here.." ok.. now I would like to point out that if this were on my lower leg I probablly would have ridden it out and not worried about it.. But.. it was my future children we were messin with.. Anyways all still here.. stang all day though.. I feel better now.
Anyways we went to lunch and then caught our C-130 which was a little more comfy to Qatar.. When we got into Qatar we had problems.. I HAVE NOW OFFICALLY BEEN DEPORTED FROM A COUNTRY!!!! WOOHOO.. Our orders from the milatary said nothing about our trip being routed through Qatar and the government requires that all passangers go through customs.. So the military's solution to this so that we didn't go to prison.. Fill out the deportation papers and deport us to U.A.E., they are supposed to deport us back to Djabuti, but Qatar has no clue where our planes go..
So I have been Deported..
We finally arrived in U.A.E. at 3a.m.
This is a posh base.. It has all cement, a pool, a nice stage, a nice dining hall, and laundry facilities..

7-7-07 U.A.E. (Day one)
Conditions here are about as hotel like as the military gets I think..
We woke up, showered, and then went to meet the General. General Wells is a nice man, the only man in the air force who was selected from flight school to fly the F-16.. the first version F-16.. He told us alot about the support they provide from this base and all the great things they do, and the cool stuff we would get to see..
On this base they have the U2, the Global Hawk, KC-10, KC-170, C-130, and the one plane that has the satelite spinny thing on the top.. The rest of the day was pretty much normal for me now on tour.. We set up, sound checked and played two shows, one at 8pm, and one at 1am for the swing shift crew who never gets to see shows.. It was the least we could do.

7-8-07 U.A.E. (Day two)
TODAY I WASN'T THE FIRST ONE UP!!??? But I was number two.. I woke up and had lunch on the Flight Line! We got to have the Airforce Backlot tour. Got to see all the planes up close and personal.. This was so cool.. We found out what all the letters mean in front of the plane number, and such.. man I have a cool gig!! When we got back I went to church and then we went into AbuDahbi.. Before going we were briefed on customs and culturs in the city.. First the band members had to remove their earrings..(oh do I have funny stories), second, when in the city do not show the soles of your shoes because you are telling people that they are below dirt, They talk close (no hula hoop) accept that.. The city was cool, we ate at this restaraunt that served real arabic food and it was delicious.. On the way home we were talking to the Major about his thoughts on the war he put it simply.. he said "For those who think we shouldn't be here tell them this.. We are over here in the Middle East simply to keep terrorism an away game"
I think that was a good one.. I liked it..

7-9-07
Well I woke up and did my laundry.. The guys.. Still not up.. Big Suprise eh? Our flight was canceled today.. not much to say.. I am almost done reading my book..Watched a Vollyball match between the Firemen and the Police.. It was crazy! Like the pro's.. that is about it..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How's the bite doing? No mention of the heat--is it cooler there or are you now acclimated to the swelter? Record heat here today--I thought about you.